Sunday, August 19, 2012

Eating Fire and Drinking Water

I'm going to start making simple book reviews of literatures I have read starting this month. 
This is my first. =)
Eating Fire and Drinking Water is a required reading in my grad school. I took the subject, Emerging Literature, which requires me to read postcolonial novels. Now I kind of regret taking it because all I do is read books about war. It's too tiring and disturbing. I started with Ninotchka's State of War, Ahmad's No Harvest But A Thorn, then this one.
Unfortunately, I don't have other ways to pass the subject. Hence, I am trying to get used to expect reading more disturbing books. Overall, postcolonial novels contain sad, depressing stories. Colonization really gave postcolonial writers a traumatic unforgettable past, otherwise these books would not be created.


BOOK: Eating Fire and Drinking Water

AUTHOR: Arlene Chai (She's a Filipino =D )

GENRE: war, drama, slice of life, history
RATING: 



Though it contains an important story that is well-written, I couldn't give it 5 stars because I will never have the courage to read this book again or even browse its pages. It's too disturbing for me. It has very traumatic scenes that haunt my imagination.


No comments:

Post a Comment