Friday, June 10, 2011

Practice teaching- a phase in life

Practice teaching is a phase in life of Ana Andrade. Ana is a student of Assumption College (AC). She attended this school for the sake of pleasing her mom who prioritized security over quality education. That was how I saw my stay in AC. But as I existed in this school for another grateful day, I began to realize important things. The love of AC atmosphere went to my heart. I began to anticipate practice teaching. I thoroughly prepared myself by speaking in English to foreign students and professors, reading English books, listening to English radio and watching American and British English movies. Then I looked for professors who could help me in my writing style. I also enrolled an English Fluency course in Speech Power. I can see the big change in my communication skills from first to fourth year college. I improved and I give myself a million of applauses.

Here comes practice teaching. The phase I had been dreading since I heard of it. It is the full body and mind exposure of an education student to the teaching profession. I did not like the thought of it. I hated my course because of it. I blamed my stupidity for basing my choice of course to my mother’s concern and my adventurous mind. I took the course because I know I am not good with people- talking to them, understanding them. It is an irony that I lack the skill to understand them though I am one of the species.

I entered AC’s Basic Education Division (BED) for my practicum. Wow! I met great teachers whom I wish were my teachers in high school- Mrs. Eala, Mrs. Villalon, Ms. Lacdao, and Ms. Villafania. Seeing them teach, I forgot all my regrets in choosing the course. I was so grateful that Ms. Villafania became my cooperating teacher. She was so patient in observing me struggling in front and giving my best in teaching her students. First demo- she repeated the last part of my lesson because I lacked the skills to deliver it. I cried and I day and night-dream of that demo for several days. Second demo- I delivered the lesson with my best weapons and shields of war. I asked Ms. Tan to check my plan. She gave me tips that helped in my teaching. Experience-text-relationship or ETR- this is the key in teaching literature to students. By bringing the experience of the characters and author to the classroom, students will be able to relate the lesson to their own experiences. Thankfully, Ms. Villafania did not have to repeat my lesson again. She was so glad I improved and learned from my previous demo.

I was finished with my 200 hours of practice teaching in BED but was not contented. So I asked Mrs. Eala to prolong my right to observe classes. This gave me more opportunities to be with students. I love my experience in the Basic Ed of Assumption College. I hope my passion will not stop there- in an environment with good teachers but will continue to grow as I bring myself in different teaching conditions especially discouraging instances that may challenge me to be empowered and teach with my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment